Friday, September 9, 2011

Le Cinematique

I haven't been able to write in a while because, first, I was moving in to my new apartment, and second, I was without internet for the first couple of weeks.  I have to say that as inconvenient as being without the net can be, I actually got a whole lot more of other stuff done during the day!  It's had been pretty chaotic here lately, but finally I got to sit down with my hubby last night and watch one of my favorite films, Bringing Up Baby, starring Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn.  The comedic timing in this movie is absolutely superb and Cary Grant as Dr. David Huxley and Katherine Hepburn as Susan Vance, make one of the best on-screen couples I've ever seen.  Its always been one of my favorites because they remind me of my husband and I. 
Style-wise, I couldn't think of anything sharper than channeling these characters.


Prof. David Huxley
He's a professor and devoted to his work as a paleontologist, not fashion, so his style should be elegant but uncomplicated; respectable and unfussy.  I would think he might put his loyalty in several brands that can dress him properly. 
I would go with a Harris tweed jacket and a pair of Alden oxfords. (I originally had a suit from Brooks Brothers, but Raymond suggested that it looked a little too flashy for a Professor, which I think he is quite right).  I think I got a little confused between Huxley and Cary Grant himself.  Anyway, this is much better- and more elegant too. I think his scent would be Guerlain Vetiver - but it wouldn't be his choosing - something his sister gave him as a gift?  Sometimes you just have to rely on others! 



Susan Vance
She's a child of old money and while I wouldn't call her some kind of spoiled heiress, she certainly can flit about without anything to stress over, financially speaking; but that's part of her appeal and  what causes the hilarity to ensue.  Susan is very high-spirited and child-like. 
I would say that she would start her day with a sprit of Annick Goutal's Songes and be a devoted fan of American brands like Diane Von Furstenburg and Ralph Lauren; perhaps a running account at Bloomingdales? 
And some shoes that are fun and a little bit quirky!
These are from Kate Spade. 
And if you are really going to be the new Susan Vance, you have to be able to rock a hat too.  I love this one from Anthropologie.

Add a dash of confidence and persistence.  She gets the man that she wants in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment