Monday, June 20, 2011

Gifts for the Discriminating Gentleman



None of the men in my life would be what you would exactly describe as "descriminating" so to speak - but everyone likes nice things in one form or another and I really like to indulge them if I can.  This Father's Day my husband and I bought all of our fathers (which includes my dad, my step-dad, my grandfather, and my father-in-law) pens hand-made from a student of his back in Toledo.

 For my husband, I got him a vintage alarm clock (because he hated his so much last year) and a sunblock stick.  I know, you are thinking that is sooo practical, what the heck.  But this is my dream list of gifts that I would give to all of them.  I like to get ideas from movies too by the way - because certain stylish characters can always give you good tips for real life.  For example: 

1.  Elizabeth Taylor gives Big Daddy a cashmere robe in the film Cat on a Hot Tin Roof  - and I think that is a very sweet gift for anybody - especially a father.  This is my pick because black looks a little too Karate and brown is just blah.
2.  Some Stationary from Crane&Co - In Brideshead the characters are always scribbling little notes to each other - invitations to parties and so forth - and it is so much classier than sending an e-mail.  


3. Crystal Cut Decanter set  - I guess you could refer to Cat on Hot Tin Roof too, but there are alot of stylish films where Decanters make an appearance.




4.  And finally, a daytrip to Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, or any scenic locale that works for a pleasant surprise.  Maybe a sailboat charter?  

No comments:

Post a Comment