Friday, June 24, 2011

The Perfect Omelet


Their is a very common schedule to our mornings these days.  I will describe:  My daughter and son wake me up, I get dressed and make the beds and then we go downstairs where my grandfather has set out cut-up oranges or cantalope and tea waiting.  My grandparents always get dressed before they come downstairs, so you know, when in Rome do as the Romans do.  For breakfast we pretty much always have an egg with toast and tea, but sometimes one of us gets ambitious and makes some kind of fried egg scramble.  Well, I'm alot more confident in my breakfast foods these days and very happy to be in a fully outfitted kitchen, so this week I made omelets for everyone.  I will tell you the steps as ingrained in my brain by America's Test Kitchen :
1. Use a stainless steel pan and put it on the stove on low - pour a little oil on the pan too (I use coconut oil)
2. Cut up small chunks of butter and put them in the freezer.
3. Put two eggs in a bowl with a third egg yolk - beat for exactly 80 strokes
4.  After ten minutes, take the butter out of the freezer and add to the egg mixture before pouring into the pan.  Also, pour some of the excess oil out of the pan before you do this.  
5.  Scramble eggs gently and then spread evenly.
6.  Sprinkle cheese and chopped chives.
7.  Once eggs are cooked well enough to move without breaking, tip pan over a plate and let the omelet slide out onto the plate.  The show I watched used a paper towel on the plate to roll the omelet without breaking it, but I'm not that skillful yet, so I usually just fold it in half.
Oia-La! 
If you want to be really fancy you could warm the plates first and sprinkle a little extra chives on top, but I'm usually too hungry and distracted with little munchkins to bother with that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment