Monday, July 4, 2011

America the Beautiful

  I think what they say about exercise being good for the brain is true, because I felt so lethargic today and uninspired until I went for a swim and that's when I got the idea for this post!  In all the places I've traveled, I was always so excited to go, and then equally excited to come back.  As much as I'm charmed by the beauty and old-world romance of Europe, I became very aware of my own national identity when traveling to other countries.  The security I enjoyed and took for granted among my own people (that includes all the demographics that I've grown up with) was suddenly gone, and I didn't quite know what was the acceptable way to act, or just the little customs amongst our own cultures; so small they are barely noticed, but immediately reveal an outsider when they are not followed.  (An example:  my father spear fishing in Spring Lake and almost getting the cops called on him)  This was particularly clear to me when I stayed with friends in Hungary.  After the trip, I was so grateful to land in Boston, I realized that somehow, I could call this "my city" even though I live about an hour away from it.  I even felt that I could breathe freer when I stepped out of the plane and into the airport.  Everything about it, the harbor, all the little pubs, even all the Masshole drivers suddenly became beloved.  This was a place I knew, these were people I understood.  And so, I've thought of some examples that could describe our country as a foreigner might discover it.

National Dish:  Pot Roast?  :)  The best pot roast I've ever tried was at the Pig Stand in Ville Platte, Louisiana along with their potat-ah salad and rice dressin'!    Hot dogs and Hamburgers.  The double cheeseburger.  yum.  Americans like to grill - everything and anything.  And as much as people complain about how depleted in nutrients our foods are,  they do taste delicious. 

Landmark:  Niagara Falls and the Grand Canyon.  If you are ever on your way to the Grand Canyon, take a pit stop in Gallup, NM.  They have tons of great shopping for beautiful Navajo rugs and jewelry, right on Rt. 66.  Stay at the El Rancho hotel, a place that hasn't changed since its retro origins and was frequented by some of the old Hollywood stars.  The food isn't that great there though - my favorite place was the little Mexican joint next to the Days Inn about a mile down the road.  I think it was called the Sunset Grill.

National Costume:  Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger.  But my favorite is Narciso Rodriguez.  Cowboy clothing too - boots and hats and big belts.

National Music:  Johnny Cash

National Literature:  Parker's Back by Flannery O'Conner and Dayspring by Harry Sylvester (my current read)
National Scent:  Kiehl's Musk.  Polo Blue.  Estee Lauder White Linen.

Favorite American Actors:  (these are my favorite American actors- but I think they are good examples of Americanism)  Elizabeth Taylor, Paul Newman, Gary Cooper, John Wayne.


 
  Happy 4th of July!  Did I mention I also looooovvvve fireworks?  That means I'm a good American. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment