Sunday, July 10, 2011

Babe - ehz

I wouldn't call myself any connoisseur of poetry, but sometimes there are certain poems that attract me, the same way the light and color in a particular painting does.  I came upon Eugene Field's Poems of Childhood this winter after my son was born.  It was very snowy and cold outside, and I had no intention of emerging with my little one out into the Arctic, so I would send requests to my husband to pick up certain titles at the library.  I was only interested in this initially because I knew that Maxfield Parrish illustrated it - I actually thought that the poems were for children and I started reading it to my daughter.  She liked listening to the poems, even though I don't think she understood them.  It was the poems that surprised and impressed me (even if the pictures are none the less bright and charming) and Field's own whole-hearted love of children, and I often discovered very bittersweet reminisces of a child who had died.  I suppose that was something much more common in Field's day. 

In summary, the poems are beautiful and they helped me to meditate on what treasures children really are - even in the midst of overwhelming situations or less-than perfect environments - the innocence of children is a treasure.  The world would be so grey without children and babies to brighten it.  I suppose I'm thinking of all this because I have several friends who are expecting babies, and I don't know if any of these babies were planned so to speak, but does everything in our lives have to be planned?  I've always found the unplanned occurances in my life were the most dramatic, i.e. meeting my husband, having my two babies, surfing after a storm and getting hit in the head!?  Hey you get the idea. 
And for Mommy goodies :  I am loving that website Earth Mama Angel Baby - talk about hooking me in with a very unique name.  I want to try out the Baby Balm and the Happy Mama Spray.  Every time I get stressed while two small children are screaming and clawing at me, I spray it and poof! they look at me and snif, sigh and smile.  Wouldn't that be amazing?  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment